Günther Greindl wrote:
> The question _if_ physics is completely formalizable/computable is
> indeed an interesting one, but why should this stage only start when
> life is concerned? (see below) Either it applies to the universe as a
> whole or it does not.

Even in digital systems there are unprovable things, like determining
whether a program will stop or behavioral non-determinism from
parallelism -- things about the physical hardware not even in the
logical programming model.

I can see why category theory could be useful to reason about different
takes on abstract function, but it's not clear to me that's a better way
to understand what and why cells do the things they do, than, e.g.
building on solved structures using molecular dynamics simulation, or by
instrumenting parts of cells with flourescent nanocrystals, e.g.

http://link.aip.org/link/?APPLAB/91/224106/1
> Guillaume A. Lessard
> <http://scitation.aip.org/vsearch/servlet/VerityServlet?KEY=ALL&possible1=Lessard%2C+Guillaume+A.&possible1zone=author&maxdisp=25&smode=strresults&aqs=true>,
>
> Peter M. Goodwin
> <http://scitation.aip.org/vsearch/servlet/VerityServlet?KEY=ALL&possible1=Goodwin%2C+Peter+M.&possible1zone=author&maxdisp=25&smode=strresults&aqs=true>,
>
> and James H. Werner
> <http://scitation.aip.org/vsearch/servlet/VerityServlet?KEY=ALL&possible1=Werner%2C+James+H.&possible1zone=author&maxdisp=25&smode=strresults&aqs=true>
> /Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (MPA-CINT), Los Alamos
> National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA/
> We^ describe an instrument that extends the state of the art^ in a
> single-molecule tracking technology, allowing extended observations of
> single^ fluorophores and fluorescently labeled proteins as they
> undergo directed and^ diffusive transport in three dimensions. We
> demonstrate three-dimensional tracking of^ individual quantum dots
> undergoing diffusion for durations of over a^ second at velocities
> comparable to those of intracellular signaling processes.
Marcus