Instead of using Microsoft's Volta, I would suggest using tools from
Google Code, http://code.google.com , or Yahoo's developer kits,
http://developer.yahoo.com
  ; and there are many others.  If you review the code snippets on the
Volta site you will see the following, which is intended to run on the
client:

using System;
using Microsoft.LiveLabs.Volta.Html;
using Microsoft.LiveLabs.Volta.Xml;

namespace VoltaApplication1 {
     public partial class VoltaPage1 : Page {
         public VoltaPage1() {
             InitializeComponent();
         }
     }
}

The offending line is "using System;" which creates several problems.
The first is that this code will only run on Windows and only in
Internet Explorer.  While it is true that Microsoft has most of the
business desktops, they are losing their grip on the home market, so a
growing percentage of users would be unable to use this application.
The second, and more important problem, is one of security.  The
System library provides hooks into the operating system and while
Microsoft has been better about security, this is exactly the sort of
thing that creates dangerous security flaws.  I can't think of a
kernel level developer I know that will allow ActiveX content from the
web on their machines, it is akin to leaving your door unlocked in New
York City.

These days, IMHO, Web based applications are generally limited by
bandwidth, network availability, and poor design, rather than the
capabilities of the browser.

On Feb 3, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> Don Begley wrote:
>> Not exactly complexity, but Joe Nocera's take
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/technology/02nocera.html?
>> th&emc=th> on
>> MS/Yahoo is well said.
> But web-based applications are limited by what web browsers can do,
> and
> how fast they can do it.   As those things improve (e.g. JITed
> JavaScript), Microsoft has their whole technology platform to draw
> upon:
>
> http://labs.live.com/volta
>
> Meanwhile, they have most of the desktops in the world, and stock that
> performs well...
>
> Marcus

Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong
reasons.
                                            ~R. Buckminster Fuller

   **** Use of advanced messaging technology does not imply ****
   ***** an endorsement of western industrial civilization *****