Nick,

Doesn't sound too tricky - as you describe it, it seems a pretty good
candidate for some form of Bayesian analysis: p(A|B) is proportional to
p(B|A)p(A), where B="is described as a pansy" and A="is actually a pansy"

You can probably get good empirical values for your priors ("what IS the
probability of finding a pansy round here?"), which is a pleasant change for
Bayesians as they usually guess these values and then spend time trying to
convince you that the final result isn't sensitive to the priors anyway.
Also I'd expect that you can probably get reasonable values for
those conditional probabilities, in consultation with your local flower
expert.

Robert