David,
Oh, sure, from an investment point of view there are enormous
opportunities for 'leapfrogging'.  It is actually evident in the vast
phenomenon of globalization.  A lot of the global integration of trade
and markets is just that.  I expect there's probably also a good supply
of 'glowing examples' of successful integration with societies whose
indigenous knowledge and social structures are still able to thrive with
it.

The question is about the indigenous societies for which leapfrogging is
just an alien culture invading and disrupting their way of life, rather
than supporting their development as they would choose.  Think about the
vast and growing poverty that has been the result in so many places.
That wide array of broken societies appears to include all the world's
uncontrolled population growth.  It's this huge number of societies
largely destroyed by the wealth invasion that are the problem, not our
ability to make money from it.

What could 'we' do?  I think for so many of the disasters erupting from
our unthinking interference in nature, learning and speaking the truth
is the first thing needed.   Then the model I heard talked about this
week at the AAAS sustainability science sessions was an all stakeholders
directed research model, involving professionals, organizations, locals,
funding and organizers, maybe using a systematic holistic learning
process like my 4Dsustainability learning process.  The trick, whatever
process, seems to be to have the key 'hubs' in place, particularly the
committed and directly involved funding organization and a few 'boundary
spanning' individuals.  If you only have one of the latter the whole
project is in jeopardy of failure if they turn up missing one day.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]