Phil,

There is a fundamental quality in mathematics - equality - or reversibility,
if you will, that differs from nature.  This means that there is a
directionality in natural processes that cannot be deconstructed.  Prigogine
calls the lack of directional and temporal equality "far from equilibrium".

Mathematics works well at describing systems at equilibrium, and seems to
get progressively worse the further from equilibrium one gets.  Emergence
creates an emergency, so to speak.

This has been my criticism of rules centered agent based modeling, which is
a theme from Wolfram, and why I have been researching compositional pattern
producing networks (CPPN's) evolved by HyperNEAT.  It seems to take energy
to evolve.

The interesting thing is a paradigmatic difference between solving problems,
and recognizing solutions.

Ken