Nicholas Thompson wrote:
> Quoting phil,

Actually, I think you quoted me.  Phil was arguing more for sensitivity
being the important factor.

> Glen wrote:
>> _seemed_ like that entity somehow predicted the change. But this
>> isn't an effective tactic. Complex systems are unpredictable (by
>> definition) in the concrete."
>
> but that is the way Darwinian evolution works, no?

Not really.  I'm talking about unitary entities, not the amorphous blob
of the entirety of life involved in Darwinian evolution.  Individuals
within an evolutionary system don't use pre-adaptation as a tactic for
surviving change.  That's my point.

There are a number of related claims.  For example, "pre-adaptation" is
a label we apply to past situations.  So, not only can it not be a
tactic used by an entity to survive upcoming change, it doesn't really
exist at all except as a pattern we perceive when looking at the
evolutionary process as it proceeds.

A single individual _might_ use commitment to one particular model as a
tactic for survival, though.  And that commitment is real.  So, my
argument in this thread has been that either multi-modeling or agility
is _required_ to survive unanticipated potentially catastrophic change,
thereby denying that commitment to one particular model is an
_effective_ tactic.

We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom. -- E.O. Wilson