Owen,

Complexity science (the study of objective complexity) is only complex
(subjectively complex) if you don't understand how it works. There are a
series of mappings from natural language, through graphical language, to
mathematical languages that help folks understand how complexity works.

But like learning to speak French, or learning to draw correct perspective,
these languages take a little effort to learn.  If people will "run a mile"
to avoid something that presents a little difficulty - or that doesn't
pre-exist in their toolbox of universal knowledge - then complex systems
will forever remain out of reach.

Ken

Learning to read Chinese is hard - math much less so.