From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Robert Cordingley
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 3:26 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Willful Ignorance

Someone wanted to know what we could do.  Well, to break the connection
between money and power which I think is a core problem, nationwide, I'd
start with:

Influence peddling:

*       Ban all Special Interest Groups.  Elected officials will have to
listen to their electorate for guidance. SIGs limit freedom of speech of the
person in the street and are non-democratic so can be declared
unconstitutional.
*       Ban jiggory-pokery with redistricting, use geography and population
densities
*       Eliminate term limits: find a good guy keep a good guy, vote the
others out.
*       Require Federal funding of campaigns (as has been suggested) and
State
*       Reduce the number of elected officials to those that count for
political purposes: make the rest civil service career positions appointed
by non-partisan processes.  You are a Judge because you know the law not the
power brokers.  You are a Chief of Police because you've achieved great
crime reduction goals etc.  Side benefit: short ballot papers and elections
are more relevant to the voter.

On voting rights and polling

*       Register everyone to vote when they get a driving license.  You
drive a lethal weapon: you vote. You vote in the district of your current DL
address.

OR

*       Register everyone to vote when they submit their tax return.  You
file taxes: you vote.   You vote in the district of your current tax return.

*       Registered party members are not allowed to vote in primaries of
other parties.  Unregistered party members voting in primaries of a party
become registered in that party for the next x months.
*       Make it illegal not to vote, punishable with $50 fine or,  give
everyone $50 when they vote.  The rich can afford not to vote.
*       Use school bus routes and drivers to get everyone that has no
transport to the polls.  Make polling-day a day-off-school or on a weekend.
Use schools as polling stations - give everyone one regular school meal for
their time and their voting receipt! Side benefit: all parents see something
about the local schools.
*       Open and close polling stations at the same universal time, for one
24 hour period.
*       Make it illegal for polling officials to be party officials.

and it probably goes on ... We might need a national voter registration
database (ooooo...tricky) and way more cooperation between different arms of
government than we probably now have (ever more tricky).

Quick questions: What political animal does this make me?  How do I get
started? Can someone model all this to see if it would make a difference?

Robert C