From: Don Begley
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10/7/2008 10:11:04 AM
Subject: sfx News: Three Tuesdays Tomorrow Night Instead

Presidential Debate Looms:
Three Tuesdays -- Unwinding the Rhetoric -- Postponed to October 8 at 6:30 pm

The second session of Tom Johnson's Three Tuesdays workshop (described below)
has been rescheduled for tomorrow night, October 8, to avoid conflict with
tonight's presidential debate. The time and location remain the same, 6:30 at
Santa Fe Complex.
Swimming Against the Flow
(October 8, 6:30 pm)

Presidential debates; vice presidents, too; ads, emails and web pages: claims
and counterclaims abound. Come to this second workshop at Santa Fe Complex to
learn how to look beyond the scripts and see what is really going on this this
fall's campaigns.
>From soap to soapboxes, ads, debaters and talking heads work overtime to
>control or influence the flow of information available to voters. Learn how to
>swim against the flow, by navigating upstream through the flood of information
>around us to find where the information comes from and investigating its
>accuracy in this second of the Three Tuesdays workshops before November's
>elections.
On Tuesday night, October 7, journalist Tom Johnson will show workshop
participants how to track data to their upstream sources. Web pages and their
data are not static events; learn how to find the "signs" of where they came
from, who owns the site(s) and sometimes who links to them. Johnson will
discuss how investigators can use these attributes to advantage and also take a
step back to consider the "architecture of sophisticated web searching."
The third and final workshop, on October 14, will explore the payoff for the
research done by the workshop's participants: following the money to see what
and who is supporting the campaign. This final workshop looks at web sites that
make it easier to follow the election money and focuses on how to get their
data into a spreadsheet. Then what? A short intro to slicing-and-dicing the
numbers. (Even if you are a spreadsheet maven, please come and act as a coach.)
These workshops will give participants an opportunity to do some hands-on
("On-line hands-on", that is) investigation of New Mexico politics.
Participants are also encouraged to bring a laptop if they can. After learning
to do the online research needed to understand what's happening in the fall
political campaign, participants will have the opportunity to do homework
assignments and contribute to the Three Tuesdays wiki so their discoveries will
be available to the general public.
Everyone is welcome but space will be limited. A suggested donation of $45
covers all three events or $20 will help produce each session. Click here to
sign up.

Tom Johnson's 30-year career path in journalism is one that regularly moved
from the classroom to the newsroom and back. He worked for TIME magazine in El
Salvador in the mid-80s, was the founding editor of MacWEEK, and a deputy
editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. His areas of interest are analytic
journalism, dynamic simulation models of publishing systems, complexity theory,
the application of Geographic Information Systems in journalism and the impact
of the digital revolution on journalism and journalism education. He is the
founder and co-director of the Institute for Analytic Journalism and a member
of the Advisory Board of Santa Fe Complex.

Santa Fe Complex is located in the Railyard Art District within walking
distance of the hotels, restaurants and shops at the plaza downtown. We're
housed in two facilities, the project space at 624 Agua Fria and the work space
at 632 Agua Fria.

The conference area contains meeting rooms and facilities for short-term use
associated with on-going sfComplex projects. The project space houses the great
room, where we hold events and offer Internet access, working facilities, a
coffee lounge and work carrels for laptop users.

While there is parking at 624 Agua Fria, the Romero Street parking lot is more
conveniently located for the 632 facility. Romero St. is an old-style Santa Fe
ox-cart road just east of the 624 driveway. Follow it until it opens up to two
lanes and turn hard right into the parking lot for 632.

Here's a map to our location. For more information, call Don Begley at
505/216.7562.

Forward email

This email was sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy
Policy.Email Marketing by

Santa Fe Complex | 624 Agua Fria | Santa Fe | NM | 87501