Richard Feynman said that "Science is what we have learned about how not to
fool ourselves about the way the world is." To the extent that it achieves
that goal, science works even without individual self-awareness. That's
really quite an accomplishment, to have created a way of being in the world
that succeeds reasonably well without having to depend on individual
subjective honesty.

For the most part, if we aren't honest with ourselves and with each other,
we all suffer negative consequences. Now that I've written that, it seems to
me that "honesty with oneself" is not a bad definition of "self-awareness."
Another way of putting it is that self-awareness is what keeps us from
fooling ourselves about our subjective experience. Contrast this with
Feynman's definition.

Science works reasonably well even without individual self-awareness in that
it relies on community self-verification. In some ways science is the
self-awareness of a community of people about what can be known about the
world. Obviously science is not about everything -- in particular
inter-personal values. But within its domain I think it does a pretty good
job of keeping everyone involved reasonably honest -- and especially keeping
the community as a whole reasonably honest. There are failures and detours.
But they are usually corrected.

I hadn't intended my original post to be about science. It was about the
importance of self-awareness when dealing with political and governance
issues. But now that we are talking about science it's an interesting
comparison. Perhaps that's why science has been so successful. It's a
methodology that isn't ultimately dependent on individual human honesty. Can
we say that about anything else?

-- Russ