Nick,
I think I agree with you.  You say "So whether relaxed selection produces
'exploration of morphology space' will depend on the structure and stability
of the environment in terms of size and longevity of the species."

If the evidence, that S J Gould brought to everyone's attention, is that
speciation occurs typically by a rapid spurt of evolutionary change, or
alternately in a confined ecology, or both, a time & space confinement, that
describes bounds within which the genetic mould is somehow relaxed and
resolidified.  The question is if it occurs maybe once in a period of a
million years for each species... and for just one of perhaps thousands of
species in the same environment at a time, what would be required to do
that??

Phil