Well, winter is besetting us, so it occurred to me that we might want to turn either the Krauth book (the subject), or your earlier excellent find:
    Information Theory, Inference & Learning Algorithms
    David J. C. MacKay
.. into a group reading at the sfComplex. Our Data Mining one was interesting.

I decided I went at the Krauth book with the wrong mind set, so started over, looking at it as a conversation with an expert delighted to give a deep and complete look at the subject. This has led me to write some simple netlogo example programs, looking at several distributions used in simple Monte Carlo implementations. Its really kinda fun! Also a bit embarrassing when I come up with distributions that are a bit unexpected. I think this area takes a *lot* of care!

I gotta say that Krauth hits on a lot of topics heard in the halls of SFI.

MacKay's book is quite deep and broad as well, and has the advantage of being available as a PDF. I haven't looked at his site recently, but he also had several open source implementations of interest. I went after his first chapter with the J programming language for the hell of it (J is an APL derivative, also by Iverson .. both Ken and his son). This was the one where Dilbert was used as a source for noisy transmission lines. I bet most of it too could be netlogo- ized. Or possibly R or Sage.

I ramble .. but .. would some of us be interested in A Winter's Read in Mathematics?? I can bring the book to wedtech or other venues. Like beer. Just for instance.

    -- Owen