Yes great stuff BUT sad that the you tube postings of the presentations suck and are un-viewable due to poor camera work ( I have emailed Ruth for a copy of her power point presentation and will post it when I get it )

There is also a fascinating guy on a similar program called Martin Golubitsky http://www.maa.org/news/090508mg.html and http://www.math.uh.edu/~mg/ discussing " Patterns Patterns Everywhere " which will blow your socks of ( Sadly same problem as Ruth's with the camera work and ditto with the powerpoint posting if he will send it to me.)

I heard a lecture or interview of his once in which he says /" Its especially important to realize that most models are just theories which may have no connection to anything in real life except in the mind of the modeler "/ Just about says it all.

( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEA-*

/www.ideapete.com/ <http://www.ideapete.com/>

Tom Johnson wrote:
From the Internet Scout....
*Ruth Charney on Modeling with Cubes [Macromedia Flash Player]*

http://www.maa.org/news/102308charney.html

The Mathematical Association of America (MAA) continues to build on their already solid online presence with the addition of this lecture by noted mathematician and scholar Professor Ruth Charney. This particular lecture was given at the MAA's Carriage House Conference Center in the fall of 2008 and it deals with how cubes can be used to represent a variety of systems. As Charney notes, "The geometry of these spaces is strange, complicated, and a lot of fun to study." Visitors to the site can watch several particularly lucid examples from Charney's talk, read her biography, and also read a detailed interview with her conducted by Michael Pearson. [KMG] <https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk#11d532fd493691f2_team>

tj
J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
www.analyticjournalism.com <http://www.analyticjournalism.com>
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
-- Buckminster Fuller