Marcus,
Your example of our weird faith people have in "trickle down" economics
points to a specific instance of magical thinking, in the usual form, that
we think our stereotypes have causal value in physical systems of the world.
The data reads to me as that globally increasing investment generally had
the claimed effect, prior to 1970, and then largely stopped.  That somewhat
coincides with the rise in fanatical belief in the principle just when it no
longer worked.

The effect of believing your stereotypes means that changing the world is
simply a matter of convincing others to have the other stereotypes...  I
think that's what I observe in most politics and why I'm nearly as
disappointed in the level of insight into our problems by the republicans as
by the democrats.  They ALL have crazy fictions about how to change the
complex systems of our world, that independently develop organization and
behavior of their own almost no one happens to watch.  We just give label
with the latest news story stereotype and that settles it!

I don’t think education seems to fix that disease in the situation where
everyone apparently has it.

Phil Henshaw