On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Nicholas Thompson <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Think about the crisis in telephone land that occured when dials were
> replaced by keys.

I came home tonight to a crisis in our home telephone land.  My daughter
says the phones are broken, everytime she tries to call Shelby the phone
doesn't work, she places the phone on speaker, enters Shelby's number,
presses dial, and the phone goes click click-click-click-click-click
click-click-click-click ....

If we'd waited long enough it would have finished "dialing" the call to
Shelby in Texas.

It took longer to figure out how to unreprogram the phones than it did to
figure out what had happened, still don't know how it happened.

-- rec --