Hi Jack,

I'd like to take advantage of your post to raise an issue that is
related--but not directly--to what you are discussing.

You wrote, "What has made mathematics so important in science, especially
physics, is the need for replacing word-fuzziness with precision in
prediction."* *

Although no one can doubt the importance of mathematics to physics and the
other sciences, what do you think of this somewhat contrary position. The
damage mathematics has done to science is that it has substituted numbers
for concepts.

Mathematics is a language of equations and numbers. Of course equations
operate within frameworks, which themselves involve concepts--such as
dimensionality, symmetry, etc. These are important concepts. But the
equations themselves are conceptless. They are simply relationships among
numbers that match observation. I suspect that this is one of the reasons
the general public is turned off to much of science. The equations don't
speak to them. I would say that the equations don't speak to scientists
either except to the extent that they manage to interpret them in terms of
concepts: this is the strength of this field; this is the mass of this
object; etc. But the concepts are not part of the equations. And (famously)
quantum mechanics has no concepts for its equations! The equations work, but
no one can conceptualize what they mean. So how should one think about
quantum mechanics? As a black box with dials one can read? What should the
public think about quantum mechanics if that's the best that scientists can
do?

I can think of two primary goals for science: to understand nature and to
give us some leverage over nature. Equations give us the leverage; concepts
give us the understanding.

-- Russ