Yes, a good idea.  And Victor Papanek was pushing it amost 40 yrs. ago.  For
a good read, track down:

Papanek, Victor (1971). Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social
Change, New York, Pantheon Books . ISBN 0-394-47036-2.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Robert Howard <r...@symmetricobjects.com>wrote:

>  The $5 solar-powered device consists of a black inner cardboard box and a
> silver foil-covered outer box that concentrate enough heat to cook food and
> boil water.
>
> Bohmer's invention could be a major upgrade for the two billion people that
> still use CO2-emitting firewood as fuel.
>

>    -
>
> http://www.greenlaunches.com/alternative-energy/cheap-solarpower-kyoto-box-cooker-for-rural-africa.php
>    -
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/04/09/solar.oven.global.warming/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
>    -
>
> http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/ariel-schwartz/sustainability/kyoto-box-wins-climate-change-challenge
>

> This just begs the rhetorical question, “why this was only invented now?”
>
> I read somewhere that one-third of the westward-ho covered-wagon pioneers
> of the 1800’s died from cholera, but all their wagons were equipped with the
> brine, salt, onions, and lemons, which when mixed properly cures cholera.
>
> Such stories make me optimistic about the future.
>

> Rob Howard, Phoenix, Arizona

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
www.analyticjournalism.com
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 t...@jtjohnson.com

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
-- Buckminster Fuller