When it comes to climate control, climate change, global warming, glacier melting etc., why do we never hear from the elephant in the room - population and birth control? If the worst things, as we've been told, for carbon footprint are homes, vehicles and food production (cows in particular and methane) then the big multiplier is the number of mouths to feed, house and transport.

Nuclear power in the US is expensive because, I'm told, every power plant is a new design with all its attendant approvals/reviews. Other countries haven't taken that route.

There used to be statistics about accident levels of people falling off their roofs checking their solar panels. That and mining accident rates/kwh generated made nuclear power one of the safest and least accident prone methods of power generation. Did that ever get proved wrong?

Coal/Natural Gas is bad - CO2 + what to do with the coal waste (toxic and radioactive) Solar is bad - no nighttime generation + people falling off roofs + high distribution costs and losses + impact on rare desert species. Wind is bad - on a still day + impact on bird migration (over blown I'd thought) + spoils the view + high distribution costs and losses. Nuclear (fission) is bad - what to do with the waste + risk of misuse and insecurity Nuclear (fusion) is bad - yet to be demonstrated + looks really expensive + old radio-active reactors will still have waste disposal problems.

Along with Solar and Wind, Tidal, Geothermal and Hydroelectric (tapped out) all require the right location and consequent high distribution costs.

The only answer is for us to consume less energy, otherwise it's still the choice of the lesser evil! I'll commit to having no more children! There, done my bit.

Robert C
(not so much a rant as a rambling)

Saul Caganoff wrote:
tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...