Thus spake Russ Abbott circa 06/12/2009 04:50 PM:
> Does it matter when the mutation occurs as long as it is recorded in the
> DNA?

Yes, at least as far as this paper is concerned and what it states as an
incorrect interpretation of "origins of new traits".  The authors state
that it is _incorrect_ to think that "offspring may exhibit new
beneficial traits even if the parents did not possess them."

I thought that was the whole point of evolution, that offspring exhibit
new (beneficial or detrimental) traits the parents did not possess.  The
only thing I can think to explain why it would be incorrect are a)
equivocations on the words "trait" or "possess", b) specifics about the
_timing_ of evolutionary relevant mutation, or c) an assertion that
crossover is the salient operator not mutation.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com