I'm not a TeX expert, but judging from all the books that use it successfully, I think you could create the beautiful and succinct notation you see in the books.

AND, you could send it to me (email, web page, blog, wiki, ..) so that I could enjoy it too!

    -- Owen

On Jul 1, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:

I am reading Spivak's book(s) on differential geometry (there are 5
volumes). This includes topics like vector bundles, tensors, Lie groups,
Riemannian metrics and de Rahm cohomology.  I find the notation to be
beautiful and succinct and I think it would be very difficult to treat those topics with only the symbols on a standard keyboard. Obviously TeX or other
tools can convert such symbols to the elegant notation but...

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-boun...@lists.sfcomplex.org
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.sfcomplex.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Traub
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:20 PM
To: Owen Densmore; friam@redfish.com
Cc: Joseph Traub; disc...@lists.sfcomplex.org
Subject: [sfx: Discuss] [FRIAM] Arthur Benjamin's formula for changing math
education | Video on TED.com

Owen,

I find nothing to argue with in Benjamin's talk. He says that students
studying economics, science, engineering, or math should learn calculus
but that it may not be needed by other students who should study
probability and statistics.

However, I don't understand your comment that math notation is the roman numerals of our times. Which branch of math do you have in mind? Certainly
not calculus, where, as you know, we use Leibniz's elegant notation.

I also don't follow your comment about discrete versus continuous.
Among theoretical computer scientists, people who want to understand
the power of the computer and questions such as P vs NP study discrete
problems whereas people like me who want to solve problems
coming from, say, physics or computational finance think about solving
continuous problems such as path integration.

Best, Joe
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joseph F. Traub, Edwin Howard Armstrong Professor of Computer Science
                   and External Professor, Santa Fe Institute

tr...@cs.columbia.edu          http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~traub

Phone: (212) 939-7013 Messages: (212) 939-7000 Fax: (212) 666-0140

Columbia University
Computer Science Department
1214 Amsterdam Avenue, MC0401
New York, NY 10027
USA

Administrative Assistant: Sophie Majewski
sop...@cs.columbia.edu (212)939-7023