Thus spake Owen Densmore circa 09-07-10 09:04 AM:
> Now, using the definition "Philosophy is what Philosophers do" .. would
> a Philosopher agree with you?

I think so, because what philosophers do is an embedded, situated,
"online" activity.  They navigate around in the muck within which we
live, regardless of the particular issue they're studying at the time.
Hence, whatever a philosopher may be studying, it is philosophy.

As an aside, I think it's quite funny when people describe philosophers
as "ivory tower" or very abstractly removed from daily life.  I've
always had the opposite reaction.  Philosophers seem to be trying to
tackle the issues most near and dear to every _thinking_ animal.  To me,
it's engineering that is the pinnacle of abstraction, despite the
concrete product.  And it's the engineer's abstraction that facilitates
her success.  The philosopher's product is abstract, but their methods
are very closely grounded to the root of all (our) meaning -- the
animal.  The engineer's product is concrete, but their methods are
slightly unhinged from the nitty gritty animalness of living in the world.

OK.  That last paragraph proves that I should shut up for awhile. [grin]

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com