You're placing yourself on one side of a false dichotomy.  Doing so for
rhetorical sake is fine.  Doing so as a serious attempt to categorize
people and the way they think is a mistake.

There is no strict dichotomy between "in here" vs. "out there".
However, some ways of looking at things (some operators) are defined in
terms of "in here" and some are defined in terms of "out there".  An
operator that is defined using an assumption of a conscious observer,
will, naturally require a conscious observer.  One that isn't, doesn't.

Emergent attributes come about as a result of operations.  Some
emergence is fundamentally dependent on a conscious observer.  Some
isn't.  It's as simple as that.

Alienating yourself or others from others or yourself based on this
false dichotomy isn't good for you or anyone else.

Thus spake Nicholas Thompson circa 09/07/2009 10:08 AM:

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com