I'm not sure I get your point.  First of all, it's not a very deeply thought
out definition. As given, the example depends on subjective experience!
(Tastes salty) But even so, everything in the definition typically applies
to levels of abstraction as well as to the relational formalism I suggested.
I explicitly required that the B elements be composed of A elements. So
there's part-whole right there.

Your comment that " the emergentist tradition has a commitment to
ontological levels." is more to the point. But it has little to do with the
definition you cite as far as I can see. You had asked about a relation
between levels. So I defined one.  Implicit in the definition is the notion
that each level exists, i.e., is ontologically real. So I don't understand
what you see as missing.

In one of the messages to your smaller group I noted that the term *emergence
*itself adds to the confusion. It seems to imply that the emergent
phenomenon just happens, i.e., that there is no explanation for how it came
to be, how it came to emerge.  If you want to include such a "no
explanation" property explicitly in the notion of emergence, then emergence
does indeed become more mysterious -- by definition.

But in fact there are well understood mechanisms that lead to the creation
of emergent phenomena.  Salt didn't just happen to come into existence. Salt
exists for reasons explained by physics and chemistry.  (Furthermore salt
"tastes" salty is better understood to mean that a salt molecule fits the
salt receptors in tongue. Then there is no subjective experience aspect to
it.)

So I would watch out for smuggling in (and wanting to retain) a mystery
about how emergent phenomena come to be. I don't think you are going this
far, but it almost sounds like you are saying (or at least hoping) that if
it can be explained how an emergent phenomenon came about then it should no
longer be considered emergent. Do you want emergence to include in its
meaning that the emergent phenomenon just appeared (just emerged) with no
way to explain it?

-- Russ A