H&O are quite methodical: "emergence: The occurrence of a
characteristic *W*in an object
*w* is emergent relative to a theory *T*, a part relation *Pt*, and a class
*G* of attributes if that occurrence cannot be deduced by means of *T* from
a characterization of the *Pt*-parts of *w* with respect to all the
attributes in *G*."

I suspect that the proper characteristics of *T* are the treated in other
parts of Hempel's book, Aspects of Scientific Explanation and other Essays
in the Philosophy of Science, so it isn't fair to assume that it's entirely
arbitrary and *ad hoc.*

However, the purpose of the definition is to exterminate emergence, it is a
temporary state of ignorance which will be remedied by an improved theory.
That the improved theory might be entirely stated in relations between
"emergent" ontologies -- eg molecules, cells, organisms, populations, etc --
is of no concern, they are no longer emergent if they're in the theory.

-- rec --

If it's in the theory, it's in the theory!