Jim,

I couldn't find the word subsumption in Hemple and Oppenheim, so pending
your locating it for me, I will just blather on aimlessly concerning my
prejudices:

Speaking as the seminar Convener.   The "heartland" of supervenience is
hypothetical relationship between mind states and brain states.  "Mind
states supervene upon brain states".  The need for the term arises because
people want to think that brain states CAUSE inind states, but they now
full well that there is no single, particular, brain state necessary to any
particualr mind state.  Just as there are many ways to skin a cat, there
are many ways for your neurons to arrange themselves where you are
"thinking about your grandmother".  This all has to do with ambiguities in
our notions of causality.  C is said (by some) to cause E when C is prior
to E, C "touches" E (in some sense), and C is necessary for or sufficient
to E.   Supervenience captures the case in which each C is sufficient for E
but no C(i) is necessary for it.  It is such an embedded  term of art in
the philosophy that no matter how difficult we find it, we HAVE to learn
it.

Speaking as a Member of the Seminar:  Mind/body philosophers are being
driven gah-gah by their resistance to the obvious:   brain states are
neither mind states by another name nor their causal antecedents.   It is
neither true that any particular neuronal pattern is required for thinking
about your grandmother nor that any particular neuronal pattern is
sufficient for thinking  about your grandmother.   As we all know, complex
systems don't work that way.   In addition, "thinking about your
grandmother" is a doing.  (It is fun to watch my grandchildren when they
are called upon to "remember" something.  They dont just say stuff; they DO
stuff.  To "remember" is to stand in relation to the world.).  The
relationship of behavior activities to neural activities is much like the
relationship of the shape of your nose to the transmissional machinery of
development.  A whole lot went into shaping your nose and even though your
nose looks a lot like your grandpa Eddy's, there was no nose-unculus that
grew to be your present nose nor any blueprint of Eddy's nose that guided
the creation of yours.  If you want to understand the relationship between
mind (behavior) states and brain (physiological) states, I recommend that
we all read Sean Carroll's Endless Forms Most Beautiful.  The notion of a
"thought of X" is a lot like the notion of a "gene for X": it is an
illusion to be dispelled.

Does subsumption help?

There are two definitions of subsumption on Dic dot com, one general, one
technical.

GENERAL ( courtesy of Collins) subsume
Verb
[-suming, -sumed] Formal to include (something) under a larger
classification or group: an attempt to subsume fascism and communism under
a general concept of totalitarianism [Latin sub- under + sumere to take]

So, if I were to substitute subsume for supervene above, I would come out
with  "Mental states subsume brain states."  Hmmm!  I dont think it means
the same thing at all.  In fact, I think (as a member of the seminar, not
its Convener) tha tit makes a lot more sense than "mental states supervene
upon brain states."

TECHNICAL (noun) subsumption

2.  Logic The minor premise of a syllogism.

Major Premise: All Swans are White
MINOR premise: this bird is a swan.
Conclusion: This bird is white.

(I hope I have this right).    Since Hempel is deep into the
logico-deductive method, we would expect that he has THIS meaning of
subsumption in "mind".  (But until I find the place where the word occurs,
I cannot be sure.)   It is the part of the deductive nomological syllogism
that connects the particular case to the law.  Sometimes called the
Antecedent.  Notice that it does SUBSUME the bird in hand under the
category "swans" just as in the brick-on-toe example, YOUR brick is
subsumed under the category "unsupported objects".  Once subsumed, it
becomes subject to the law laid out in the major premise.

But, I still don't quite see what this has to do with supervenience.

So, after all that, I think my answer is "no".

Nick

PS:  I finally found where the word is used.  Gawd I am a blind old bat!
No, I don't think its a substitute.

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)

<wimber...@gmail.com>; maryl <ma...@cnsp.com>; merle
<me...@arspublica.org>; michel bloch <mbl...@mountvernon.fr>; nthompson
<nthomp...@clarku.edu>; Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net>; Roger E