russell standish wrote:
OSX on a VM partition would be fantastic news for me, if the price is
right.
If that comes to fruition, there won't be any more $25 OSX upgrades from Apple, that's for sure.

Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.10 work on MacBooks, but not on external drives. The hybrid GPT/MBR partitioning is just voodoo as far as I can tell, but it is possible to have Windows 7, Fedora 11 and Snow Leopard on the same laptop (I do). Due to partitioning limitations, I had to restrict my Fedora 11 partition to a single partition, and not use ext4 (so that I could boot from the same partition) nor have a swap drive (loopback swap files work though).

VMware isn't always an option if you are working with hardware like GPUs. It's easier with desktops (e.g. Mac Pro), where you can take a whole SATA drive. Otherwise, VMware Fusion is a great product IMO.
Marcus