Actually I think the thread is heading into some interesting and (for me)
useful directions. Several contributors (Eric, Glen, Russell et al.) are
explicitly filling in the blank in the sentence "if a phenomenon is
identified as emergent then <blank>" (and thanks to Doug for the clear
statement of my question).
As to the math, I'm absolutely not against developing a theoretical
grounding for emergence but (IMHO) it needs to inform the "if" clause of
Doug's statement AND the "then" clause. I think that our discussions over
the past months have tended to focus on the former rather than the latter:
my question was just an attempt to correct the balance.

-- Robert

P.S. Does it help if I know whether my simulation will display chaotic
behavior? You betcha: if I know the shape of the attractor in phase space I
know which states of the system are impossible and which are possible and I
can calculate the probability of finding the system in those possible
states. So that means (for example) that I can apply error bars to my
prediction of next week's weather or properly price the financial derivative
that I am selling.