So yesterday I'm reading about solar energy and thinking -- blah, blah, blah
-- of all the known solutions.
Today Slashdot gives me a blurb about synthetic black holes, which I follow
to new scientist and on to http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.2159v1

The abstract:

   Traditionally, a black hole is a region of space with huge gravitational
field
in the means of general relativity, which absorbs everything hitting it
including
the light. In general relativity, the presence of matter-energy densities
results in
the motion of matter propagating in a curved spacetime1 , which is similar
to the
electromagnetic-wave propagation in a curved space and in an inhomogeneous
metamaterial2 . Hence one can simulate the black hole using electromagnetic
fields and metamaterials. In a recent theoretical work, an optical black
hole
has been proposed based on metamaterials, in which the numerical simulations
showed a highly efficient light absorption3 . Here we report the first
experimen-
tal demonstration of electromagnetic black hole in the microwave
frequencies.
The proposed black hole is composed of non-resonant and resonant
metamaterial
structures, which can absorb electromagnetic waves efficiently coming from
all
directions due to the local control of electromagnetic fields. Hence the
electro-
magnetic black hole could be used as the thermal emitting source and to
harvest
the solar light.

The actual synthetic black hole is, for microwaves, simply a radially
symmetric pattern of glyphs on a printed circuit board.

-- rec --