I use facebook to keep in casual touch with people I like but whom I
don't have time (or travel options) to see in-person on a regular
basis. So instead of a big catch-up once a quarter (or year!), I'm
more-or-less in-tune with what's going on with them. At least with the
frequent posters / commenters. Contrarily, I am not that frequent a
poster of personal stuff, but I like to post links and topics that are
important to me.

~~J