I think Thurston gives a great example of ambiguity in his paper "On Proof and
Progress in Mathematics," where he lists 7+1 ways of understanding the
derivative.  Infinitesimal, Symbolic, Logical, Geometric, Rate, Approximation,
Microscopic + "... Lagrangian section of the cotangent bundle ...."

-Roger Frye

On Dec 29, 2009, at 12:09 PM, ERIC P. CHARLES wrote:

> Well, of course, all of this (Glen and Nick's posts) is ignoring the obvious
> fact that ambiguity is the antithesis of mathematics. Of course (?!?), there
> is a nuanced resolution of this tension, having something to do with a
> difference in worlds between the lofty professor and the practical man, but
> I'm not sure what it is.
>
> When a teacher asks a student what 2+2 is (hint: 4), the length of the area
> of a circle with radius 1 (hint: pie), what the integral of a given function
> is, whether a given number is prime or not, etc. etc. etc., the student
> doesn't get full credit for saying "Its ambiguous, and the world is better
> that way!" I doubt anyone would argue that students and lower-level teachers
> of mathematics are completely wrong in their view that these questions have
> unambiguous answers. (Though surely some will claim the problems are not
> adequately specified. For example, is the circle in euclidean space?) So, how
> do we reconcile claims that ambiguity is at the heart of mathematics with the
> obvious truth that mathematicians really like producing, teaching, and
> preaching about unambiguous things?
>
> Also, re Glen's post specifically, I think there is value in discriminating
> between accidental and intentional ambiguity. Not all claims of ambiguity is
> are claims of ignorance, sometimes situations are actually ambiguous and
> therefore claims of ambiguity are claims of knowledge. For an example of the
> former, I may claim that the pitter patter on my roof "May be acorns falling
> or it may be rain, its ambiguous". In that case, we all agree that it either
> IS acorns OR rain (while retaining the chance it is both), and it is clear
> that I am stating my ignorance as to which it is. For an example of the
> latter, we might ask whether George W.'s "Free Speech Zones" were protecting
> people's freedom of speech. One possible answer to that question, one that
> expresses a good understanding of the situation, NOT severe ignorance, might
> be "In some ways it technically was, but in other ways it severely undermined
> freedom speech, so the situation is ambiguous." On a lighter note, many jokes
> an innuendo take advantage of ambiguity, and if you don't think the situation
> is ambiguous, you won't get it. For example, I once shot an elephant in my
> pajamas..... what he was doing in my bedroom I'll never know.
>
> Eric
>

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 01:21 PM, "glen e. p. ropella"
> <g...@agent-based-modeling.com> wrote:
> This perspective is the essential gist of Robert Rosen's message, if
> you
>
> carve off all the surrounding sophistry.  Ambiguity is the essence
> of
>
> life.  If we specialize down into mathematicians, we can say
> that
>
> ambiguity is the essence of mathematics, as practiced by the animals
> we
>
> call mathematicians.

> [...]

Roger Frye, 505-670-8840
Qforma, Inc. (formerly CommodiCast)
INNOVATE, NAVIGATE, SURPASS
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or
legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or
entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance
upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that Qforma
can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message from your
inbox. Thank you.