On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Jochen Fromm <jfr...@t-online.de> wrote:

> I guess people back then were not that
> different from today, some just wanted
> to be peaceful farmers, while others
> insisted on repulsive rituals, bloody
> sacrifices and endless wars. The film
> Apocaylpto from Mel Gibson describes
> it well, I think it is quite authentic.
>
> The astronomy was impossible and the arrival of the Europeans was only off
by several centuries, but no reason why the depiction of everyday life
shouldn't be taken as authentic, for some value of authentic.  ;-)

There's an open-access PNAS article today about pre-Columbian agriculture in
the Amazon and how their engineering has fared in the centuries since their
extermination,
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/17/7823.short<http://www.pnas.org/content/107/17/7823.short?rss=1>
.

-- rec --