Your comments struck me as quite profound,

The brutality seen in these civilizations is a manifestation of the
instability of the ruling powers. Powers that are confident do not resort to
such extravagant efforts, those that are unsure(paranoid) are going to use
as much horror to intimidate as possible.
The scale of the horror is simply a derivative of the available resources.
The essential significance is that human beings resort to terror tactics
when they feel threatened in some manner. It is the natural response of a
frightened human being to externalize their fear with grotesque displays.

We are a little backward in evaluating a society by the quantity of heads on
display we should be looking for societies that do not display their fear so
prominently.

On the other hand what is it about society that makes its lkeaders os
paranoid that they engage in this display. Do civilization and horror go
hand in hand?

Some how the Idyllic nonchalant Dwarves of Tolkien, do not seem capable of
such dramatic displays.

Grandiosity of civilizations is easily observed but that same grandiosity
applies to Buildings architecture as well as death circuses.
The Human need for Grand Gestures may be at the root of civilization. Our
need for Theatre creates civilization, not efficiency. I always wondered why
the apparently sensible Romans wasted so much on Spectacles.

At one time in London people paid for seats at public executions. Ticket
scalpers made a good shilling out of famous executions. Not long afterwards
we saw human society supply the appetite for blood with motion pictures.

Hitler saw himself as a Grand Architect as well as the savior of his nation.
I think Napoleon laughed when someone suggested the English might step in
and defeat his ambitions and he remarked derisively " Not the English , they
are just a nation of little shopkeepers" I probably screwed that up perhaps
someone will correct me.

Perhaps the need for gods was simply an extension of this basic need for
Human Beings to be awed before they would pay attention and give respect to
leaders.

 "If it can't hurt you then you don't have to pay attention"
So the psychopaths in charge know that the only thing subjects notice is a
lot of bright Red Blood events. Those psychopaths seemed to understand human
nature better than most psychologists considering the success record.

If this were a system of agents then this would appear to be situation where
a single agent discovers a method whereby it can get the absolute attention
of all other agents by employing some low level attention activating signal.
Perhaps releasing Histamine into the cellular environment or the smell of
blood in a wolf pack are equivalent. Once you have everybody's attention
what you do next is probably based on the ethics of the culture.

If brutality is a sign of psychological distress in the ruling elites one
would suspect Brutality to increase as a defeat nears, on the other hand if
Brutality is simply an attention focusing device then Blood circuses should
preceed expansion phases of the society.

Any comments out there, perhaps I have already heard the answer, Hitler
accelerated the brutality but in secret, the Mayans, Romans, and Aztecs made
it quite public so the distinguishing feature is the degree of publicity,
perhaps? This adds another aspect to the thread, the public brutality was in
some way much less than the secret Brutality of Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot
(Khmer Rouge)

Dr.Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax