Listening to a discussion to the Cape Cod offshore wind project:
  http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp/tp100428a_boost_for_clean_en
.. it reminded me of a conversation with Kim Sorvig who made the observation that "Local Green" made much more sense rather than these huge wind farms and other large green installations.

The idea is that we would be far better off working on small green energy, and diverse multiple sources (wind *and* solar, say) that could be less intrusive in the long run. Thus developing small solar (panels, water heating, windows/blinds controlling solar input ..) and wind (roof top devices).

Redfish has been working on the UK "Merton Rule" and the later "Code For Sustainable Homes" on monitoring the use of such devices. It appears that an interesting percentage (easily 25%) of family energy could be locally generated.

Do any of us have experiences with Local Green approaches .. where a family or neighborhood could develop its own energy? Obviously both conservation and generation applied together would be required to get to a large percentage.

I'd hate to see the Large Green start to spoil views, disrupt fishing, and have dangerous side effects. It seems we have a hard time thinking "outside the hierarchy".

  -- Owen

    -- Owen