Nicholas Thompson wrote circa 10-05-17 11:13 AM:
> This sounds like a problem for complexitists and control system theorists.

Right.  And although Russ A has come closest to an "evidence-based"
proposal for CU vs. FEC, with the following two injections:

Russ Abbott wrote circa 10-05-17 03:09 PM:
> From a complexity perspective libertarianism is aligned with favoring
>  a diversity of autonomous agents -- as in a complex system.
>
> It seems to me that a complex system can reasonably be characterized
> as one in which there are many autonomous agents, and there is a
> reasonable diversity among them with respect to how they act.

I don't think that takes us far enough.  A diversity of autonomous
agents is a bit too vague, especially given the dialog about fear,
power, corruption, selfish vs. common (obfuscated selfishness), etc.

I think there is something to be gained by examining the CU vs. FEC
decision in the context of a scale-free network of "freely" speaking agents.

I've heard effective rhetoric that claims that most businesses don't
engage in political speech AT ALL because it's not good for business.
Like all simplifications, this has a lot of truth to it.  Go into a
local business and ask the manager whether s/he advocates for gay
marriage and see what type of response you get.  But there's also plenty
of anecdotal evidence that many (smaller) businesses regularly engage in
political speech (like the doctor who put the sign in his window telling
people who voted for Obama to find another doctor).

Ultimately, I think we might design a study that sampled organizations
(profit and non-profit), with investigations of things both inside and
outside their specific domains, all across the spectrum, from huge
multinational corporations down to mom-and-pop shops, to try to find out
a little more about how "free speech" really plays out in such
organizations.

My guess is that "corporations as we the people" has little to do with
it and the controversy is really about "organizations _designed_
specifically _for_ rhetoric."  Perhaps a good example might be the likes
of the National Milk Producers Federation and the International Dairy
Foods Association.  The purposes of groups like these seems to be pure
rhetoric.

Again, on the one hand, the abstraction provided by professional
persuaders like those at the NMPF is a good thing because it is
difficult and expensive to develop rhetoric good enough to persuade
bunches of lawyers (especially all the way up to the SCOTUS).  No single
dairy farmer, no matter how bright or wealthy, can develop that
rhetoric.  So, accumulation of resources is systemically _necessary_ to
construct the salient rhetoric.

I.e. we _must_ have organizations at this level of abstraction.  It's
the only way to do it in a byzantine rule of law system like the one we
have.  And, hence, such organizations _must_ be able to spread their
rhetoric freely, otherwise, we'd be defeating our own purposes, working
against the system of law we claim to facilitate.

On the other hand, such accumulation of resources and the sophisticated,
arcane, knowledge it takes to generate such rhetoric presents a risk
that, as RussA says, can produce rhetoric so LOUD that it drowns out any
"little guys" who may have a rhetoric-busting point to make.

My conjecture would be, then, that a robust organization for "free
speech" would target a scale-free network of rhetorical agents, many
small quiet agents and only a few big loud agents.  This is a bit more
refined than RussA's conjecture that it might consist of a simple
diversity of agents.  I guess I'd also want to specify that the
diversity exists in all dimensions, not just which rhetoric (political
party), purpose (branches of gov't), size, or power.

glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com