On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Ted Carmichael <teds...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with the comments on the psychology/perception issue.  But I don't
> agree with this:
>
> "So no matter which bisecting plane through the sphere we examine, it will
> always have more sticks parallel to it than to the orthogonal pole.  So this
> actually explains a "planar force".  There more horizontal sticks than
> up/down sticks...."
>
> I just don't think that is possible.  All you have to do is consider one
> case (that supposedly has more sticks parallel), and then freeze the sticks
> in place, and rotate the plane through the sphere so that it is now
> perpendicular to the original plane.  Clearly now the "parallel" sticks are
> "perpendicular," so if there were more parallel before, now there are more
> perpendicular.
>
> The plane is simply a place of reference.  It makes no difference on the
> number of sticks oriented one way or another.

There is no one plane perpendicular to a given plane in three dimensional
space, that only becomes a possibility in four dimensions.  When you rotate
a plane through 90 degrees in 3D you end up with a plane that intersects the
original plane along a line.  Some of the sticks parallel to the first plane
are still parallel to the rotated plane.

-- rec --