Hi Glen ,

It looks in some ways that inflation is a polite way to avoid fight or
flight and that used to be the jurisdiction of governments. It is not clear
how governments can fiddle much anymore as lowering the bank lending rate
rarely results in lowering consumer debt rates. That has been one argument
for governments taking over the banking sector, no doubt the other is that
it would be like giving the fox the keys to the henhouse.

I have argued often with people that believe gold is some kind of fixed
commodity, it is not. The higher the price goes the more holes people dig
looking for the stuff when the value declines people just stop digging. Gold
suffers as much as any commodity; people just believe the stuff is rare sort
of like the fallacious energy shortage. There is no such thing , the truth
is that there is only a shortage of dirt cheap energy. I try and avoid these
debates since most of the participants seem to have a belief system that
entitles them to make outrageous claims that are beyond testing, much like
religion.

So far we have tried any number of economic models with typical failures
every 1 or two generations. I suppose any system based on belief without
question is bound to collapse when the priests and disciples  fade away.

Sometimes I suspect money is a loosely correlated concept to the degree of
trust people have for each other. That global trust is falling apart as we
speak and the economics will follow. There does not seem to be any way a
single government can reestablish basic trust on a global scale. In the 13th
century people were freaking out about counterfeiters. Dante reserved a
special place in the Inferno for such miscreants because he felt strongly
that they were undermining God's Order. Some of these counterfeiters were
basically making less than pure gold coins by small margins. The question
that was never answered was whether the States themselves were issuing less
than full measure and simply looking for scapegoats. Back then anyone with a
smattering of chemistry could be burned at the stake. Inflation is just a
less obvious way of devaluing  currency.

I doubt it is a zero sum game since there are many examples of people just
walking away from the table and starting new systems, the trick is to
convince everyone that it is the only game in town.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky

Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.

Winnipeg, Manitoba

CANADA R2J 3R2

(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax