To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 6:26 PM
Subject: [FRIAM] Fwd: Yahoo! To Close Delicious

Roger passed on the news that Delicious is being closed by Yahoo. It was of interest to me because I was converting to Delicious, along with generally revamping my digital ecology to better integrate between all the parts: tv, laptop, mac mini home server, phone, ipad, .. and so on. So bookmarks in the sky seemed part of that.

Well, as we've seen from Google, stuff often gets dropped and you Just Can't Trust the Bastards!

My solution for bookmarks in the sky was two fold: try Chrome's bookmark sync, and to make sure I had a Plan B for delicious. My plan B looks to be a winner: Pinboard: http://pinboard.in/howto/

Its sorta interesting: a one man shop that aims for simplicity over just about everything else, with a free account, but also a very interesting upgrade that includes archiving all the sites you bookmark so that if they go 404 you get a backup, sorta like Google's "cached" pages.

BTW: along the way of all this fussing with stuff, I converted to Chrome full-time, and started using the "search engine" feature. I've found that putting in several useful sites, along with an "I'm feeling lucky" search, that my use of bookmarks has diminished considerably.

-- Owen