In his book "The Astonishing Hypothesis" the late
Francis Crick argues that a person's mental activities are entirely due to the behavior of neurons. The "astonishing hypothesis" is '...that "You", your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behaviour of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules.'

This hypothesis itself is a higher form of self-awareness. Could it be that consciousness of the self is astonishing,
because it is based on an astronomical number of cells
which interact for a short time? We know that the brain has 100 billion connected cells. And we know that the 'mind' does not emerge from an isolated brain alone. Consciousness emerges because the brain is adaptive, it is able to relate events in the outside world to some internal processes (*). An interesting thing happens during "That's me" moments of self-awareness. A single object in the outside world - often linked to the spoken or written name - is recognized as the self. A basic contradiction follows: on the one hand the object is only represented by a few neurons. On the other hand the self means everything, every single of the 100 billion neurons. If n neurons span a phase space of dimension n, could it be that self-awareness is associated with a short-lived strange attractor of very high fractal dimension, let us say 1 billion? Just an idea. What do think?

-J.

(*)
From Brains to Consciousness
Steven Rose (Ed.)