I've been using TextMate to edit Javascript most of the time, augmented by a
jslint plugin for TextMate.  jslint (http://www.jslint.com/) is a javascript
syntax checker that makes sure the syntax is correct before you run the code.
It is extremely helpful.

jsunit, the javascript unit testing framework, is also useful, and it will run
outside a browser using rhino.