Rich,

Your faith in progress brings tears to my eyes.  I don't think the world is
one ounce better than it was when I was a kid.  It is DIFFERENT, but we have
given up at least as much as we have gained.  Nor do I expect it to be any
better in a hundred years.  Thus, the sole rational defense of the neophilia
that characterizes FRIAM is that new stuff is FUN!  In making a decision to
seek out new stuff or not, it cannot be evaluated by lofty ideals,  but
simply balanced against other forms of FUN!

I am not sure where this leaves me for a defense of higher education.  It
used to be defensible on the ground that it was a place where you could tuck
away smart people so they couldn't get their hands on political power,
social influence, money, or things that explode.   Now even that has gone
away.

[sigh}

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson