Jochen,
I'm not Nick, but we usually think pretty similarly about these issues, so I
will attempt a short answer:

The most obvious problem with Humphrey's hypothesis is that lots of things that
are not humans are conscious.

The problems with Pinker's hypothesis are much more awkward to explain. One
relatively light weight problem is that it is much more natural to think of our
cognitive prowess as relying on our linguistic ability, but Pinker's theory
would require that we be in the 'cognitive niche' before we evolved language.
(A more complex problem is that Pinker's theory is inherently incompatible with
Darwin's notion of evolution, which was about the distribution of traits over
geographic space. Things that are useful everywhere cannot, by definition,
count as adaptations. But that is a messy, messy can of worms.)

Eric

P.S. Most modern evolutionary psychologists would have very different opinions
about these issues than Nick and I.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 05:37 PM, "Jochen Fromm" <j...@cas-group.net> wrote:

Nick,
>you are an expert in evolutionary psychology.
>Do you agree with Humphrey's hypotheses that
>human consciousness is an adaptation to living
>in a society of selves and Pinker's similar idea
>that language is an adaptation to the cognitive
>niche? see http://bit.ly/dOeRLZ
>
>-J.

Eric Charles

Professional Student and