I think Stallman would argue that there are good technologies for making
portable communication devices which do not share the problems he sees with
cell phones.  The government knows what these technologies are and uses them
for military tactical communications, which makes those communications hard
to intercept, hard to track, hard to jam, and even hard to find.  But the
portable communication technologies sold to consumers have exactly the
opposite properties.  As Al Qaeda and Hamas have discovered, governments are
happy to use those properties for tactical targeting.

-- rec --