Jochen and everybody, hi,

I don't know if it has already been covered on this thread, and I understand that the following comment is not central to the main theme. But to group Chernobyl with other reactor failures has one element that is potentially problematic. Chernobyl was a carbon- moderated reactor, in contrast to (as far as I know, all other) modern reactor designs, which are water-moderated in one way or another. The problem, of course, with carbon moderation is that if the reactor overheats, the carbon doesn't reduce that, and if it hits flashpoint, the carbon is inflammable and ultimately explosive. So you get this massive chemical explosion vaporizing and distributing your fuel/waste mixture.

In contrast, water-moderated reactors, if they overheat, boil off the moderator. Since, in either of these reactors, the point of the moderator is to slow neutrons to an energy that can be captured for fissioning, when the moderator is lost, the neutrons remain fast, and mostly escape, which should mostly or entirely shut the reaction. This isn't as complete a quench as the cadmium absorber rods that can be used for some kinds of active control, but it should still make most of the difference that keeps the reaction within what the containment system was designed for.

There are a lot of details about this that I don't know, so I don't understand what the modes are that lead to continued reactor heating even when the moderator should have been removed. This includes not understanding what went wrong in the research facility in Japan a few years ago, that led to the bubbling pot of fuel that had to have holes shot in it from high-powered rifles outside the building to sufficiently spread the material to go permanently sub-critical.

For me, the most worrisome reactor in the world right now is in St. Petersburg. it is the same design and age as Chernobyl (I believe), and is not only a potential disaster for Russia, but for Finland, Sweden, and northern continental Europe. That would be my candidate for replacement.

Eric