From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:18 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] toxins from magnets

McAfee SiteAdvisor Warning

This e-mail message contains potentially unsafe links to these sites:

<http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/friam.org?pip=false&premium=true&client_ui
d=1064314504&client_ver=3.3.0.176&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=true&aff_id=0&l
ocale=en_us&os_ver=6.1.0.0>

friam.org

Peggy -

You ask:

I wondered if any of you know of a way to keep magnet production from
producing enormous toxin byproducts. Turns out magnets are needed for large
wind turbines that Britain is building, and China makes the magnets cause
has the metals for doing so. But result is huge pollution.
I am trying to find if there is any knowledge about way to make the magnets
without it being so toxic in effect?

I think the problem is fundamentally the same problem we always face with
our globalism.  We don't (can't?) know the consequences of our
actions/desires/market-demands and we often don't want to.   Wind turbines
needn't necessarily use as many or as strong of magnets as they do, but
would most likely suffer in efficiency/production.  There are alternative
magnet technologies to those that require neodymium, but probably at one
kind of cost or another.   There are surely less toxic methods for
mining/extraction of neodymium than the ones being used in Mongolia... etc.
etc....

But our rush to specific goals (in this case, "green" power) creates demands
for things we might not really want.  We not only export our pollution, we
export our guilt.

It is all connected, and once again, we conspire with ourselves to avoid
those connections.  I think it is almost axiomatic that the answer to your
question is "YES!, there are always ways to reduce toxic byproducts", but
the real question is "how much MORE are we willing to pay for how much
reduction?"   If we were willing to pay double for the magnets, contingent
on some specific level of reduction in toxic byproducts, we could surely
have them.  But then we'd surely be supporting "yet another" ineffeciency or
abuse, or ...

Surely the turbine manufacturers have already done the math, the research...
they know where else to get magnets at a higher price with lower ecological
impacts... but how do we tell them we want that?  And do we want that?  I
think *I* do.

On the other hand, I admit to wincing and whining every time I look at my
electric bill... "why does it have to be sooo expensive?"  instead of...
"wow!  I wonder what rivers had to be dammed, what high-sulfur coal plants
had to be fired, what nuclear risks had to be taken, what pollution in
Mongolia had to be exported for me to get as much power as I feel like using
at such a low price?"   Of course not, I just want to know where the "rest
of my free lunch" is, I just want to resent those who got me the first half
of my free lunch and ignore the implications of my wanting it.

I'm heartened when I read stories like this...  but sadly, I think the only
solution is for us to pay more for what we want to.  We want to have our
cake and eat it too.  We want there to be funding to research
better/cheaper/less-polluting solutions, but we don't want to pay for it.

Right now, a great deal of the renewable/green sources of energy costs more
in our artificial economy...  this exporting of pollution to Mongolia from
Britain (and the rest of the first world) is one of the hidden prices of our
desire for ubiquitous and inexpensive (and now "green") energy.

I feel fortunate to get my electricity from a co-op which I can vote (or
even run) on board members who call the shots.  I also feel fortunate to
live in a climate where I can heat my home by direct solar gain and wood.
I use more electricity than I need to, and I wince a little every time I
hear of something like this... and I might even turn off a light bulb or
change tactics to reduce my "parasitic loads".

My Co-op speaks of "green tags" (eh?) and they have a program for members
(customers) to pay a (small?) premium for more renewable power.  I don't
know if these "tags" or if the "premium" takes into account Neodymium mining
pollution.  I don't know if they people I can ask know...  but thanks to you
Peggy, I think I will go sign up for the premium "green" energy, and at
least ask the question, offer to pay a slightly higher premium if they can
find a less toxic solution to neodymium magnets, or ones from Mongolia or
...?  Not sure... but there is always a carpet where we sweep the details we
don't want to think about.

http://www.tristategt.org/greenpower/ is a link to the source of the "green"
power my co-op uses.

- Steve

Here is link to the article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1350811/In-China-true-cost-B
ritains-clean-green-wind-power-experiment-Pollution-disastrous-scale.html

Peggy Miller
--

Peggy Miller, owner/OEO

Highland Winds
wix.com/peggymiller/highlandwinds
Shop is at 1520 S. 7th St. W. (Just west of Russell)

Art, Photography, Herbs and Writings

406-541-7577 (home/office/shop)
Shop Hours: Wed-Thurs 3-7 pm
                   Fri-Sat: 8:30-12:30 am