Speaking as a Troll , Eric is correct and careful with his words,

 and also paraphrasing Bertrand Russell , Humanity is notoriously bad at
anticipating the consequences of its actions. But, and these are my words
now , we are very expert at making up fairy tales to explain away our
misdeeds. Peggy has indeed found something odd that has potential to involve
many other nations.

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/rareearth.pdf

As well Investors are marshalling funds globally to do something and exactly
what is unclear. Simultaneously Canada is opening new iron ore deposits some
of the largest on the planet in the High Arctic.( It was well known but was
always assumed to be absurd because of Polar Ice which is now thinning)
Greenland and the Danes are expecting to open their own REE mines next door
in the south west of Greenland. The Chinese are investing in Arctic
shipping and the Russians are already or shortly will be  shipping LNG over
the top of Siberia. It all converges in the Bering Strait. The link between
Iron Ore bodies and REE is unclear. Australia has been of interest to the
Chinese for metallurgical Coal, and Iron ore as well as REE.

It seems the Chinese are already finding ways to curtail the Neodymium issue
by exporting the externalities.  Now that is going to force a re-examination
of the Fairy Tales now that another Power is playing with the same game
rules.

BHP is trying to corner the global minerals industry and Potash was only a
recent misadventure. Lithium, Scandium as well as Neodymium are all
attractive investments.  The commercial exploitation of unusual materials
appears to be a global free for all, recall Coltan for cell phones in the
Congo. War and human atrocities seem to follow these Gold Rush phenomena.  I
recall something from the past about Rubidium in the Antarctic.
When BHP entered Saskatchewan their intention was to create and enormous
stockpile close the smaller mines, lay off workers and wait till the price
of Potash climbed. In some sense they expected to handle potash like a drug
dealer dispenses heroin.

Neodymium appears very much like a runaway  Coltan
http://www.cellular-news.com/coltan/ nightmare made much worse by Western
demands for consumer products. Is This a classic case for dismantling the
Market Place Wisdom Fables?. One could just as well conclude that the entire
North African Revolt is linked to Cell phones . It is a fairy tale to expect
costs to stay with the polluter, unless we account for all the innocent
victims having absolutely nothing to do with the industry it is a Farce of
Awesome proportions. That is so it seems exactly ,the purpose of economic
theory, to hide the real costs. Thankfully in time all empires collapse
under the weight of delusions and the problems resolve themselves. Not
necessarily the way we expect, however.

Peggy had a concern and unfortunately I now agree it is valid globally. But
the tax concept seems dubious and I suspect something much bigger is
required.  In the pdf , which I added I was staggered to see the enormous
physical territory included within China. One has to wonder  when ,
exploiting REE as an opportunity, would threaten the food production when
every dollar gained in one sector would simply reflect permanent losses in
others.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky PhD

vbur...@shaw.ca

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.