From: Roger Critchlow <r...@elf.org>
Date: Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Subject: work cost of erasure
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <Friam@redfish.com>

>From today's Nature:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v474/n7349/full/nature10123.html

The Thermodynamic Meaning of Negative Entropy

The heat generated by computations is not only an obstacle to circuit
miniaturization but also a fundamental aspect of the relationship between
information theory and thermodynamics. In principle, reversible operations
may be performed at no energy cost; given that irreversible computations can
always be decomposed into reversible operations followed by the erasure of
data [1, 2], the problem of calculating their energy cost is reduced to the
study of erasure. Landauer’s principle states that the erasure of data
stored in a system has an inherent work cost and therefore dissipates heat
[3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]. However, this consideration assumes that the information
about the system to be erased is classical, and does not extend to the
general case where an observer may have quantum information about the system
to be erased, for instance by means of a quantum memory entangled with the
system. Here we show that the standard formulation and implications of
Landauer’s principle are no longer valid in the presence of quantum
information. Our main result is that the work cost of erasure is determined
by the entropy of the system, conditioned on the quantum information an
observer has about it. In other words, the more an observer knows about the
system, the less it costs to erase it. This result gives a direct
thermodynamic significance to conditional entropies, originally introduced
in information theory. Furthermore, it provides new bounds on the heat
generation of computations: because conditional entropies can become
negative in the quantum case, an observer who is strongly correlated with a
system may gain work while erasing it, thereby cooling the environment.

-------