Lee,
Not an answer, but more grist to the mill:

Interestingly, if we believe in the cartesian theatre, then your points hold
better - In a world in which I have perfect knowledge of my own mind, it should
be impossible to perform a thought experiment, because I could never get a
result that was not what I expected to get. While we could try to design a
series of thoughts to lead someone else to a desired point, there would be
nothing experimental about its effects on our own mind.

On the other hand, if we deny the cartesian theatre, then a thought experiment
should be possible. If we do not have clear access to our own minds, then it
should be possible to "test run" a series of thoughts and to find something
other than what we expected.

Eric

P.S. After writing this, I realize that I consider one  of the key features of
an honest experiment that it is possible for it to result other than as we
expect (which is related to my disdain of funding agencies that only fund
things with sufficient 'pilot data' to virtually guarantee the promised result).

Nick having expressed some outrage at what he perceives

Eric Charles

Professional Student and
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Penn State University