I recently came across an announcement of a couple of talks by Greg
Chaitin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPspSp7AhQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL (which
is the first of six 15 minute segments) and
http://www.cs.umaine.edu/~chaitin/sfi.html.  The second, which is text,
mentions favorably "Who Can Name the Bigger
Number?<http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/bignumbers.pdf>"
a paper by Scott Aaronson. I haven't had a chance to go through the Chaitin
talks yet, but once I started the Aaronson paper it kept pulling me onward
until I had finished it.  He claims (among other things) that "one could
define science as reason’s attempt to compensate for our inability to
perceive big numbers." Our ability to express large numbers is not just a
trivial pastime but marks our scientific progress.   A very interesting
paper.

The example he uses is the challenge to write down the largest number you
can express on, say 1000 characters. Indirect references such as "the
largest number on can write down in 1000 characters plus 1" or "the number
of primitive particles in the universe" are not allowed. The number must be
expressed directly. The issue becomes what notation can one use to express
numbers. Exponentials, Ackermann's function, the busy beaver problem, etc.
The conceptual machinery required to express ever larger numbers in a finite
number of characters becomes quite challenging. What he doesn't require, of
course, is that one explain the notation as part of the 1000 character
limit. It's neat and relatively easy-to-read, a good Sunday evening paper.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
*  blog: *http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
  vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/