As much as I like the idea of a 3D electronic book, I don't believe it will
make an huge impact; maybe when electronic media get to the point where writing
notes and going back and forth are really as easy as with a physical book.

One of the pressures we face as textbook authors is that unless I have a very
good website to provide additional support (ppt lectures, electronic versions
of all figures, programs, etc) I lose a lot of adopters. As Bruce knows that's
a lot of work.

The analogy between book reps and pharmaceutical reps is interesting. However
there is an order of magnitude difference in renumeration. I've known health
science faculty to give up tenure to become drug reps but I have never seen
that happen with a physics or engineering faculty member.

However, in both cases the job of the rep has changed from knowing a lot about
the product to being able to get into a faculty office and get samples to
someone who really doesn't want to talk to you.

In NM, most UNM students are self-supporting and wind up buying their own
textbooks. There has been a huge cultural shift which goes beyond the money
issue. I would never think of selling a book after taking a class but students
today have an entirely different attitude towards media. Of course when a
biology 101 textbook costs $250 (really does) the $$ matter.

What does seem to be changing is the popularity of on-line courses. At UNM
there are now 8000 student enrollments in such classes each semester. For many
years I fought against such classes as not being up to the standards of a live
class with real interaction. But with the new tools available to put together
on-line courses and to interact with students on-line, I'm reconsidering my
view. Perhaps that's where Bruce and I might find a lot of agreement. With an
on-line format, students can access a lot of 3D demos and all kinds of other
material that could not be in a physical book. I'm going to develop such a
course this fall.

Ed
__________

Ed Angel

Chair, Board of Directors, Santa Fe Complex
Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
505-453-4944 (cell)                             http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel