Members of FRIAM--

If you're sometimes weary of agonizing over deep meanings, say, of
emergence--the definition, the process, the concept, the philosophy, the
fantasy, the gospel--I have an offer.  Join a bunch of us in Santa Fe to be
judges at school science fairs.  They're a quick and refreshing trip back to
simpler topics, and they're fun.  Really.

The Santa Fe Alliance for Science (http://www.sfafs.org/) supplies volunteer
judges for science fairs in Santa Fe area elementary and middle
schools (some FRIAMers are already volunteers).  Last year 32 of our
volunteers looked at and talked with nearly 2000 students at 24 different
science fairs.  Partly as a result of the SFAFS effort over the past several
years, the number of schools with science fairs has increased steadily (more
than doubled the number of schools in four years, with three more schools
already added for this year).  The students, and their families, are
tremendously impressed that "real" scientists are coming to talk with them
and judge their projects.  This seems to elevate the science fairs above
everyday school activities, something inspirational for the kids and
validating for the teachers.

Science fairs are a mixed bag in terms of quality of projects, and some of
us try to improve them by meeting with teachers and, sometimes, students in
advance to offer some guidelines for what is a science project or
experiment.  My opinion is that we can guide the students to think
critically about what constitutes reasonable proof of cause and effect, a
useful outcome that is distinct from any particular knowledge gained about
science.  Whether or not the students become scientists or engineers, they
all can benefit from knowing more about scientific thinking.

Judging at a fair takes about 2-3 hours, usually during school hours.  We
work with a simple, standardized scoring sheet, and at the end we compare
and rank the projects we thought were best.  The winners compete for cash
prizes in March at a system-wide science fair.  We need more judges to
volunteer because the demand is growing.  If you're at all interested, send
me a response at bruce...@gmail.com and I'll add you to the email list.

As they say in the ads, there's no obligation.  You'll get information about
fairs as they're scheduled (Nov through March) and can volunteer if you have
some time.   If you're unsure about how it works, you can shadow another
judge for ten or twenty minutes to get a feel for the process.  The schools
are grateful, and it's a satisfying community service.

And, yes, you're all smart enough to talk to elementary school kids.

--Bruce Abell, SFAFS judge recruiter

--
Bruce Abell
7 Morning Glory